What we Buy- How and When?
We are looking forward to seeing you when we re-open on Saturday, 1/2/21!
We will continue to accept up to 100 items on any day, Monday-Saturday. *If you have more than 100 items, you must wait until you receive the offer on the first 100 before you bring more.
NEW OPTION for a LIMITED TIME: If you prefer to donate items instead of sell, we are offering unlimited drop off January 2-16. We will do the sorting for you! Please just make sure it is all clean. Anything that is able to be sold in our store will greatly help us get off to a jumpstart to the new year. Anything we wouldn't normally purchase due to condition will be donated to local non-profits. They will either sell them or recycle them. Either option puts money into their ministry.
** If you dropped between 12/15 & 12/23, reminder that you will receive your delayed offer the first week of January after we re-open.
Updates for 2021
*Skirts sized 12 mo or under- NO LONGER BUYING
*Everyday dress-up costumes, such as princesses, superheroes & community helpers- We ARE buying
*Halloween costumes- currently accepting on donation only- no cash/credit
*Functional room decor- We ARE now buying- must be functional (no wall art, etc)
* Please also scroll down to see the full list of items we do not purchase at any time.
* * * * * * *
NO MORE THAN 100 Items- if it appears to be over 100 items, we will need to ask you to count them while in store.
NO BINS BIGGER THAN 18 gallons- if your bin is too big, we will provide bins for you in store. We will ask you to transfer your items while in store.
(If you don't have a bin 18 gallons or less in size, you may also use clean boxes or formed bags- no trash bags.)
Scroll down to see sizes and all expectations on how to prepare your drop-off.
* * * * * * *
What We Buy
- Boys Clothing, Sizes Preemie thru Kids Size 14.
- Girls Clothing, Sizes Preemie thru Kids Size 14
- Brands we consider: both everyday and boutique brands
– Jackets, swimsuits, costumes, dress-up clothes, ski wear, dance/tumbling leotards & dance shoes, children's/pre-teen jewelry, spirit wear, select sportswear, special event dresses and suits
– Maternity & Nursing clothes
– Shoes, sizes NB through adult 8.5. Adult sizes must be kid/tween styles.
– Toys, puzzles, children’s books, baby gear
- Functional children's room decor (no wall art)
Scroll down to see what we do NOT buy.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
How to Prepare your Items:
– You may included up to 100 items in each reservation.
(2-Pc Pajamas, bikinis/tankinis & pairs of shoes count as 1 item/ toys that come in an original set count as 1 item/ All other 2-Pc sets count as 2 items.)
– Regardless of the number of items, we will not accept bins over 18 gallons. This is for storage and safety purposes.- If you do not have bins, you may bring clean boxes or formed bags.
– No trash bags will be accepted.
- No hangers (unless needed for special occasion dresses or formal suits. All other dresses and suit pieces will be fine lightly folded.)
– We do not accept add-ons. If you forget items or find more after you’ve dropped off, please include them in your next drop-off.
– Wash and sort through your items before you bring them. Pre-treating stains and freshly washing goes a LONG way in what we can accept.
– Do not bring items that have been stored in your attic or garage without washing them. They need to be washed again.
- We are very particular on the condition of the items we purchase. Kids are kids and stains happen, so we typically give quite a bit back. Please remove all items with stains, pilling, holes, snags, loose threads that would lead to a loose hem, or any type of wear. We will not accept these and it also helps you fit more into your 100-item limit that we will purchase.
- If you have tried to sell them at JBF, Tot2Tot or a garage sale, we will not accept them with these tags still on the clothing. If you pinned your tag to the fabric rather than the seam, this causes holes and we will not be able to accept them.
– If your item requires batteries, it will not be accepted without working batteries.
- Toys and other items requiring assembly must be assembled. You may do this once in the store if needed
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
We apologize that we are unable to give estimates over the phone, email or messenger. If you are in search of the best payout and have time to meet others for pick-up, etc, please try other selling methods before bringing us your items. If you have a large item difficult to bring in and you’d like to ask if we would consider it, you may send pictures of the items, as well as pictures of flaws. We can at least tell you if we’d consider making an offer, but we will still need to see it in person. Thank you for your understanding.
Please watch this website or our Facebook page for new updates.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
*inclined sleepers, due to recalls
*items with stains, marks, holes, tears, loose threads or wear from washing/drying
*nursery bedding, including bumpers, mesh crib liners & crib teething guards
*baby bottles or toddler cups
*room decor (*this may change, stay tuned)
*bumbos without straps (bumbos without straps were recalled)
*infant bathtubs & infant bath slings/bathers
*crib/ bed mattresses (we do take changing table pads)
*breast pumps, including new breast pumps
*baby monitors that include movement sensors
*stuffed animals or plush baby toys (unless it is an attachment on a bouncer, etc),
*we will now consider some plush items but are very selective
*pillows, pregnancy pillows (we do take nursing pillows)
*headwraps sized larger than 24 months
*hats sized larger than 24 mo (with the exception of costumes),
*swim floats or life jackets,
*furniture (BUT WE DO take changing tables, kids’ tables/chairs, small toy/book shelves)
*wall art (BUT WE DO NOW take functional room decor)
*technology- CDs, VHS, DVDs
* * * * * * * * * * *
Hint! Pre-treat any stains before you wash clothing and magic eraser works wonders on removing marks from toys and some materials for shoes!
*All toys and other items requiring batteries MUST include working batteries at drop-off. If batteries are not included or do not work, the item will NOT be accepted.
*Any assembly of toys with more than 3-4 pieces must be done before drop-off. Due to labor costs, we no longer spend time assembling toys.
*We appreciate that you freshly wash the clothing you’d like to sell to us.
*We appreciate that you fold items nicely in a clean box or a bin that can be stacked. If these are unavailable, formed bags are acceptable as well. *If your clothing arrives in trash bags, they become extremely wrinkled and the condition may not appear to be as good as it actually is. This will likely lower your offer.
*We only accept clothing in like-new or very gently-used condition. To help keep our labor costs down (keeping our prices down), we appreciate that you pull out any items with stains or extra wear prior to drop-off.
*Please pair pajama sets prior to drop off.
*If you have 2-piece sets, it is helpful for these to be paired together as well. Our customers love sets!
What is the payout? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
At Chloe’s Closet, we pay you upfront for your gently-loved items. You will leave your items with us to be reviewed and priced. We will offer you your choice of cash or store credit. * All cash offers over $25 will be paid by company check. * Store credit is the the same percentage as the cash offer, but it does not expire and can now be used towards used OR new items. It makes for an easy trade! :)
Payouts are tiered percentages, based on several factors. This will range from 30%-35%, depending on needs, brands and item. 40-45% for some large baby items. You are paid on your items before they go on the rack, before any discounts and even if they do not sell. Reminder that when we buy up front rather than consignment, we are taking the inventory risk rather than paying you only if your items sell.
Keep in mind there are many ways to sell your items. We are a locally-owned, family-owned business and when sharing your items with us, you are a great support to the local Chloe’s Closet community and an encouragement to the continuation of face-to-face interaction. We appreciate you!!
However, if you are in search of a way to sell your items at a price close to what you paid, we are not the solution for you. Sellers receive a fraction of that lower-than-retail price. For an idea of who we are and what you are supporting, we’d love for you to come visit before you bring in your items. If you would like to know how much you might be paid for your items, we highly recommend you do come by and take a look at our prices.
For further questions, please give us a call at 281.665.1662.
If you have read this far, thank you! We look forward to doing business with you!